Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hometown Prophet

It's been a LONG time since I have read any fiction work. I read a lot, being an editor, but I just haven't had the opportunity to edit any fiction...and reading outside of work for someone like me is sometimes difficult! Luckily I am on a sabbatical of sorts (at least that is what I am choosing to call the space and time I am in while waiting for work to flood in...here's my number, call me maybe?) and I was able to read a book called Hometown Prophet by Jeff Fulmer.

Truth be told, I liked it. It was an easy read and was well paced. The characters were like those we have in our own lives: people with fears of all kinds. Peter, the main character, goes through a series of dreams that come true, changing his point of view as well as those around him. He gains a lot of attention as his visions escalate, causing many people to rethink their own lives.

I liked that this book gives the reader a chance to experience prophecy from the prophet's viewpoint. That it shines a light on the struggle of living out your gifting, on the courage it takes to step out and trust even when there are haters out there ready to pounce on you for any and all reasons. I know in both my past and present I have let the fear of people disliking me direct many of my choices. It may be because society has grown accustom to choices being either 'good' or 'bad' rather than just believing that it is just an action with a reaction. (But that is an entirely different blog post.)

I am thankful for Peter. I am thankful that he gave me, a mystical christian learning to trust and act upon God's presence in me, a voice and a boost of confidence to trust BIGGER. I wish there wasn't such a negative portrayal of the church, mostly because of its accuracy. I don't get heavily involved in the 'church' debate because I haven't been impassioned to do so, but it is a sore spot in my heart.

All in all I would recommend this book to people who are blessed with the gift of prophecy, in all its different forms, and as well to those trying to understand more about the gift. I am thankful to have read it, and hope to share it with someone who needs that boost of confidence to trust God's movement in them so that they, too, may be bold to express their experience for the healing of the world.

Check it out here!

I am thankful to Speakeasyhttp://thespeakeasy.info for the book, and happy to review it in my own words.

Blessings.

2 comments:

high school diploma said...

Thanks for writing..The links works fine when I click on it..Thanks for updating..

high school diploma said...

Thanks for writing..The links works fine when I click on it..Thanks for updating..